I'm interested in disintermediation, disruption and deconstruction.
+44 *** ****
"Exogenous shocks will always vitiate the ceteris paribus"
A few words about me
Niall O'Connor has worked as a Management Consultant and also served time in the television industry, rising to the hallowed (sic) rank of Executive. On occasion, he acted in an advisory capacity to both private equity companies and hedge funds, focusing in on the impact that the internet had upon industry structure in the the gambling and television industries. Between 2008 and 2016 he headed up the Okonomia project, a movement that had the stated aim of decentralising economic intelligence. Between 2016-2018 he was involved with the
not a but also not not -a project, which looked at the extent and degree to which AI driven smart services would disrupt financial and betting industry models. Niall O'Connor is currently working as a Feature Writer and he is involved in researching the degree and extent to which behavioral psychology impacts upon the evolution of financial and betting markets. He is also actively involved in researching and writing documentary proposals for television.
We all suffer from an anchoring and adjustment bias.
In that we are mostly unaware of the subtle stimuli that exert an unconcious influence on our choices, we are accordingly not good at recalibrating the beliefs that anchor the way that we understand things.
Shares in Flutter Entertainment were simply playing catch up.
The New Pariahs: UK Gambling Stocks Have Fallen Out Of Favour.
- REDUX; Fixed Odds Betting Terminals: The Fentanyl of Gambling.
On the psychology of the betting market.
Blockchain Prediction Markets: A Criminal Enterprise?
Niall O'Connor: Musings on the impact of blockchain on the gambling industry.
The Gnosis prediction market and the paradox of decentralisation.
Blockchain set to disrupt traditional betting market in way that Betfair failed.
International totes stand to gain most from blockchain technology.
Blockchain: Too many sharks in the paddling pool.
- "When betting markets get it wrong." On the folly of the crowd.
- "Super Forecasters: Super Excuses. On The Art Of Being Less Wrong." Lessons from the 2016 U.S. presidential election.
- "How Bernie Sanders won the election for Donald Trump." Like it or not, many Sanders' supporters stayed away from the polling booths..
- "A Short History of the Betting Exchange Industry." How Betfair lost the plot.
- "European Gambling Law From Schindler to Engelmann." - An analysis of European gambling law.
- "The United States' War against Online Gambling" - An analysis of US online gambling law.
- "Betsham." - The story of Betfair's illfated share flotation.
- "The myth of European betting market liberalisation."
- "On the taxation of betting exchanges."
- "Sweden and gambling industry deregulation - The road to nowhere".
- Fixed Odds Betting Terminals: The Fentanyl of Gambling.
On the long, hard and fruitless battle to monetise sports betting content.
- How the UK's Labour Party gambled on casinos and lost.
- How the Internet killed off Telephone betting.
- William Hill vs. Ladbrokes: GW/EBIT Comparative Analysis 2003 - 2012..
- Betting Exchange model fails to clear regulatory hurdles.
Totalisators - Institutional rigidity hinders development of decentralised betting hub.
- Niall O'Connor - A Selection of the Key Horse Racing Essays.
Cited in over two hundred and fifty government and academic papers,exempli gratia;
- The Oxford Handbook of the Economics of Gambling. (Oxford University Press).
- The International Study of Gambling Jurisdiction.
- The use of economic theory to minimize risk in the sports betting market.
- European Commission: "Study on the funding of grassroots sports in the EU.
- Is it Time to Reconsider UK Gambling Policy.
- On the Road to Permissiveness?: Change and Convergence of Moral Regulation in Europe, July 2015.
Law and the Technologies of the Twenty-First Century: Text and Materials.
EUROPEAN UNION, STATE-SPONSORED GAMBLING, AND PRIVATE GAMBLING SERVICES: TIME FOR HARMONIZATION.
- Specification and Performance Optimisation of Real-time Trading Strategies for Betting Exchange Platforms.
- Political Economy of Institutions, Democracy and Voting
edited by Norman Schofield, Gonzalo Caballero.
- New Sources of Development Finance, edited by Anthony Barnes Atkinson, Alexander Atkinson, Professor Faculty of Economics and Politics A B Atkinson.